Monday, July 14, 2008

VIDEOS - GREATEST HITS








1. I'LL WALK THE REST OF THE WAY (1962)


ALAN'S COMMENTS:
Actually, this was the second video I created, although it was her first single released. I had just finished "He's a Rebel" and thought I would tie in James Dean again with Vikki. Maybe this is James Dean "before" he became a rebel! This was one of my first attempts at animation. It is time consuming to say the least!

The song is sort of an odd song for an artist debut, but it does fit the time period. The doubling of Vikki's voice is a trick the studio producers were doing with girl singers at the time (a throw back to Patti Page's "Tennessee Waltz" recording). Dottie West had a minor country hit with this song but it was titled "Let Me Off at the Corner." Dottie West recorded several of Vikki's songs including "It Must Be Him."



2. HE'S A REBEL (1962)
#5 AUSTRALIA 1962
ENGLISH VERSION


SPANISH VERSION /
VERSION EN ESPAÑOL
"ES REBELDE"





ALAN'S COMMENTS:
This is the first video I created for the Greatest Hits series. I knew right away I wanted to pair Vikki with James Dean on this one. I found some pics of James Dean with Elizabeth Taylor and Natalie Wood, so I took their faces off and put Vikki's on for the video.

As much as I love Vikki's version of "He's a Rebel" over the Crystals' version, I am so glad she did not have a hit with this song in the states because, if she did, knowing the music industry at that time, they would have turned her into Liberty's answer to Wanda Jackson or Leslie Gore. They would have probably had Vikki's follow up records be "He's Not a Rebel Anymore," "He's a Rebel Again," "I'm the Rebel Now," etc. etc. Not having the hit in the U.S. was a blesssing in disguise because it gave Vikki the chance to record a huge variety of styles. Had she had the hit, most likely Liberty would have pigeon-holed her into being a teeny-booper, rockabilly one-hit wonder.

3. BE MY LOVE (1962)
TOP HIT IN THE PHILIPPINES



ALAN'S COMMENTS:
I was glad EMI UK added this song on its "Ultimate Collection" CD. I think Vikki does such a tremendous job on this song.



4. THE ROSE AND BUTTERFLY (1963)


ALAN'S COMMENTS:
I wanted the video to reflect the time period so I looked for things to give it that concept. I took a B&W photo of Vikki's and colored it like they used to do in the 50's and early 60's. This a rare song that most fans don't know about. I'm glad to bring it back with a visual I hope enhances the listening experience.



5. SAN FRANCISCO (1963)


ALAN'S COMMENTS:
What can I say except the song demanded to put pictures of a beautiful city with a beautiful lady. Who else but Vikki Carr? This song is the 7" 45 RPM version as the album version has an introductory lead in with vocal and piano. But I opted for the single release to be consistant with the concept of these videos. Maybe when I finish I'll go back and make a video of the album version.



6. POOR BUTTERFLY / STAY (1963)


ALAN'S COMMENTS:
If reincarnation exists then I think Vikki should come back as a beautiful butterfly. I think she would want to come back as something that brings beauty and joy to people's lives, like a butterfly can! I love the coupling of the songs, and these songs were actually very popular with her audience in Japan.

Another thing about this video is that, originally I skipped this song and didn't realize I had forgotten it until I finished "Unforgettable." Oopps!



7. FORGET YOU (1964)
ENGLISH VERSION


ITALIAN VERSION /
VERSION EN ITALIANO
"MAGARI"



ALAN'S COMMENTS:
I wanted to pair Vikki up again with someone so I decided on Elvis. If you look at her aitting at her desk with the large stack of papers, on the side is a picture of Elvis, the King! The broken heart image I thought really looked 60-ish and I purposely used images from that time period to make the video reflect the time period. I especially love the Italian version of this song, and the horns add so much to it. It gives the song a Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass sound to it. In fact, I am surprised Herb Albert & TJB didn't record at least an instrumental version of this great song.



8. THE COLOR OF LOVE (1965)
ENGLISH VERSION


ITALIAN VERSION /
VERSION EN ITALIANO
"ILL COLORE DELL AMORE"



ALAN'S COMMENTS:
When I began my collection of Vikki's work in English, this was a song I fell deeply in love with. I love the images it brings to the mind, and I tried to make the images my head had come out in the video. Again, I wanted to give it that 60-ish feel to it.



9. BUSCA ESE CAMINO (1965)
VERSION EN ESPAÑOL


VERSION EN INGLES /
ENGLISH VERSION
"SHOULD I FOLLOW?"



ALAN'S COMMENTS:
This is truly Vikki's first all-Spanish release. It was a 7" 45 RPM with both sides recorded in Spanish: "Busca ese camino" b/w "No seas asi." Vikki has always been proud of her Mexican heritage and of the Spanish language. What is so cool about this song is that it was released the month and year I was born!



10. UNFORGETTABLE (1965)


ALAN'S COMMENTS:
Listening to her recording of "Unforgettable," I kept thinking to myself, "Why didn't this hit?" When I go back and listen to what was Top 10 back in 1965, I realize that Vikki was a little too ahead of her time. Her music is timeless, whereas a lot of songs that did become hits show their age. This is the first time I tried the trick of making the images go fast. It was fun to do, but again, time consuming.



GREATEST HITS VIDEOS 11-20

ALAN'S REFLECTIONS ON THE GREATEST HITS VIDEOS

No comments: